Login Register

Paul Hyde jailed for Billericay Valentine's card rampage

By Billericay Gazette  |  Posted: July 04, 2012

  • Paul Hyde

Comments (0)

A JILTED lover has been sentenced to four-and-a-half years in jail after going on an axe rampage in Billericay.

Paul Hyde, of no fixed address, was sentenced at Basildon Crown Court on Thursday after pleading guilty to 18 offences, including two threats to kill and two counts of common assault.

Mr Justice (David) Owen-Jones said Hyde “simply lost it” in a drunken rampage through Patricia Gardens on the evening of Wednesday, February 15.

The court was told in graphic detail how Hyde, 46, launched an attack on his partner(Alison Hall), a neighbour and caused £48,820 of damage to neighbouring property by smashing doors, windows and cars with an axe.

Hyde and his partner, who had planned to marry, had ended their relationship after a dispute. over a Valentine’s Day card.

Hyde had returned to his girlfriend’s property, in Patricia Gardens, to collect his belongings. The court was told how hHyde had consumed tablets, including Paracetamol, and had started to drink whisky, when his partner returned home shortly after 5pm to discover he had smashed a drum kit she had given him.


Hyde smashed a bottle of beer against the wall, threw the microwave on the floor and took an axe from the kitchen and pursued his partner into the lounge.

In prosecution Michael Fraser described what happened next.

Prosecuting, Michael Fraser said: “[Hyde] pushed her on to the settee. He then leaned over her and said ‘I am going to f****** kill you.’ He then put his hands around her throat and said ‘you and me are going to die in here together because I love you.’”

Hyde had locked the front door to the house preventing her from escaping. He then made a threat to pour petrol over the house and set it alight with the pair of them locked inside.

Hyde continued his axe rampage in the house smashing the TV, kitchen cabinets and the cooker with the gas turned on before his partner managed to make her escape.

The rampage then continued into the street as Hyde took out his anger on cars parked in the road.

He then smashed his way into the property of a neighbour, whom he hit across the face with the back of his hand before holding the blade of the axe against her throat and threatening to kill her if she did not tell him the whereabouts of her daughter.

She managed to escape into a neighbour’s home.

The prosecution then read out five more witness statements from neighbours.

Hyde, wearing a turquoise polo shirt, sat motionless in the dock as the evening’s events were related. laid bare

The court heard how armed police arrived on scene and fired two rounds of rubber bullets at Hyde who shouted at them to shoot him.

Both rounds missed, but a third knocked him to the ground and he was apprehended.

It was only when a letter from his former partner to the judge was read out in court that Hyde began to smirk while he sat in the dock.

The letter said both she and her daughter were “homeless and destitute because of the actions of this man”, and that she had not been able to sleep or go out alone through fear since the incident.

In defence, Andrew Hope said his client had accepted “full responsibility” for his actions and had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Mr Hope told the court how Hyde had met his partner shortly after the death of his father, at the end of March 2011, and that their relationship had “taken off with great speed”.

“What seems to have happened is that perhaps rather than going through the process of dealing with a loss of a parent and going through a period of grief, [Hyde] threw all his emotions into this new relationship,” said Mr Hope.

“Not having properly dealt with the passing of his father, his emotional reaction to her decision to end the relationship was way beyond what it normally would or should have been.”

Passing down his sentence, Mr Justice Owen-Jones accepted Hyde’s emotional state at the ending of the relationship and his remorse shown in the aftermath, but said: “It is unbelievable what you did to affect the equilibrium of these poor people.”

Mr Justice Owen-Jones imposed a sentence of four-and-a-half years and restricting orders forbidding Hyde to make contact with his former partner and from entering Patricia Gardens ever again.

Read more from Brentwood Gazette

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters